The use of herbes de Provence isn’t limited to the Mediterranean region; however, it’s a kitchen staple throughout France because its flavor is so versatile!
It goes smashingly with everything from roasted lamb and potatoes to zucchini, eggplant & tomatoes. And pairs especially great with chicken!
Checkout out our recipe for Mediterranean pasta sauce!
Spice Pit Mediterranean Pasta Sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 or more cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- (If you like carrots and celery as part of your pasta sauce you can finely chop these as well and add as you like)
- 1 - 28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes. San Marzano preferred if available.
- Butter and cream (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Spice Pit Mediterranean spice blend
- Fresh basil as garnish
- Freshly grated Parmesano/Reggiano cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cook chosen pasta as per package instructions. Spaghetti, penne well suited to recipe but other shapes will also work well.
- Saute onions (carrots, celery optional) bell peppers and garlic in olive oil until soft and caramelized. Add plum tomatoes and squash whole tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Add Spice Pit Mediterranean Spice Mix.
- Cook until well mixed with flavours married (at least 30 minutes on low).
- Add 2 Tablespoons butter (a la Marcella Hazan) and ¼ cup heavy cream.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil to taste and hot red pepper flakes if desired.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cheese to plated sauce on pasta.